Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Lighthouse



A lighthouse is a fortress built to withstand intense wind, waves and other forces of nature. It is a strong tower with a powerful light designed to guide lost sailors away from danger and to safe harbor.  It represents hope, safety, help, and shelter.  Lighthouse keepers are a different breed; they are strong, relentless, servants.  They put themselves in harm’s way to save others.
I am a lighthouse keeper. I withstand the storms of anger and share a light that guides others to safe harbor. I must be relentless when it comes to serving my kids.  It often feels like I am withstanding hurricanes of attack and this week was no exception.  This week a coworker of mine told our kids that he was leaving to take another job.  Tears started rolling down some cheeks. I knew it was going to be a long month as the kids dealt with this loss.   One of the kids asked if he could call me “mom”.  Another started crying when I went in to pray with him that night and asked me why everyone was leaving him.  And another called me all sorts of names and told me to just go ahead and leave since everyone else was.  He wasn’t ever able to open up and say that he was afraid I would leave; instead, he wanted to make me leave by being a jerk.  These boys I work with- most of them are new, it is their first houseparent to leave.  They don’t know how to react- so their pain reveals itself in angry storms of emotions.
So I stand firm. I withstand the battering of name-calling. I offer hugs and tissues to the tears that flow. I continue to shine the light towards the safety of the ROCK. I point the kids to the one who will never leave or forsake them. And I continue to hold fast to my own fortress.  I will seek my Strong Tower, for He provides the strength to get up another day.   
Lord, these days are tough.   But You have a plan.  Father, show yourself true. Guide these precious children to your safe harbor.  Be my strong tower as I try to do what you called me to do.  Shine brightly through me.  Open the doors for conversations about you.  Open the hearts of these kids to see you.  Please be my strength for the attacks of anger.  Overflow my heart with your grace and love for these kids. Give me the resilience to get up another day and serve you. Thank you, Lord, for setting me apart for this job.  Lord, you are precious. I love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment